contact details: marcel[dot]baaijens[at]gmail[dot]com
- 1996-1999 School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, USA, Master of Art and Art Education
- 1995 & 2003 Interactive Drawing Therapy (Russell Withers), Wellington
- 1976-1985 University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, Master of Science (Architecture)
- 1982-1984 National Folk Dance Centre (L.C.V.), Amsterdam, The Netherlands (International Folk Dance)
- 2010 AKO Aotearoa Reasearch Grant
- 2001-2006 Various grants, for operation of studio-gallery for artists with intellectual disabilities.
- 1996 The School Of The Art Institute Of Chicago, Merit Scholarship
- 1989 New Zealand Ministry of Internal Affairs, Grant for dance research and development in Europe
- 1989 The Hillary Commission for Recreation and Sport, Grant for production of instructional dance therapy video and manual
- 1999 Award, for video documentary: This drawing Looks Intelligent. CDT-Superfest XIX- International Media festival on Disabilities, Berkeley, Ca, USA.
- 2006/07 Bridge Guard art and Science Residency, Sturovo, Slovakia, (6 months)
- 2007 Bridge Guard Residence, Bridge Guard 7, Sturovo, Slovakia, (artist)
- 2007 Bridge Guard Residence, Borders and Barriers, Sturovo, Slovakia, (artist)
- 2001-2006 Art Compass Gallery, various exhibitions, Wellington, N.Z., (Curator)
- 2005 91 Aro Street, Quick, Wellington, N.Z., (artist)
- 1999 Gallery 2, Art and Queery, Chicago, U.S.A., (Artist, Performer)
- 1999 Video Machete Gallery, Chicago, U.S.A., Hemispheres(international), (Curator)
- 1999 Gallery 1926, Constructing Community, Chicago, USA (Co-curator)
- 1998 Austin Special, 1998 "This Drawing Looks Intelligent", Chicago, U.S.A., (Curator)
- 1998 Chicago Cultural Center, You’re In My Space, Chicago, U.S.A. (Co-curator)
- 1994 Devotion, Art Exhibition, Wellington, N.Z. (Artist)
- 1989 New Zealand-Netherlands Society, Wellington, N.Z. (Artist)
- 2004 Coming of Age National Conference, Wellington, Invited Speaker, Curator
- 2003 The Correspondence School National Conference, Wellington, Invited Speaker
- 2000 Look Wellington 2000 NZRA Conference, Wellington, Invited Panelist
- 1999 The Arts and Expressive Therapies National Conference, Bulls, Invited Speaker
- 1993 National Dance Conference, Bulls, New Zealand, Invited Speaker and Panelist
- 2009-current: The Learning Connection, Mentor/Art Educator
- 2006-current 'The Accidental Pilgrim' (video documentary), producer, writer, editor, camera. Independent production.
- 2007 The Orphanage, Artist-in-Residence, Art facilitator, Sturovo, Slovakia
- 2001-2006 Art Compass Studio-Gallery, Wellington, Founder/Director/Art Facilitator/Curator
- 2000-2001 Vincent’s Art Workshop, Acting Studio Coordinator, Wellington
- 2000 Arts Access Aotearoa, National Arts Advocate, Wellington
- 1998-1999 Little City Foundation, Artist-in-Residence, Palatine, U.S.A.
- 1998-1999 Austin Special, Art Programme Founder, Director, Artist-in-Residence, Chicago, U.S.A.
- 1997 Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities, (adults), intern, Chicago U.S.A
- 1993-1994 Marcel Qui? Gallery, proprietor retail outlet, Wellington.
- 1990-1992 Roxburgh 5 Workshops, member of artists co-operative, Wellington.
- 1988-1996 Art Unlimited, I produced and marketed objects in a variety of media; stained glass, watercolours, and jewelry at national craft shows, fairs and markets, New Zealand
- 1988-current: Sit Dancing International, Creator/Tutor/Presenter/Trainer, Freelance. New Zealand, Australia. Design, produce and teach dance programme for frail elderly and people with disabilities, conducting staff training, presenting at conferences and A.G.M.’s of national organisations.
- 1982-2005 International Folk Dance, Tutor and Choreographer, Freelance Netherlands, Ireland, England, New Zealand, Australia, U.S.A. Community groups, dance schools, special events.